5 No-Fluff, No-Muss, No-Foolin’ Around, Slam Dunk Steps to Attracting Success
April 19, 2012
If you’ve been reading this blog for any period of time, you know that one of my main topics…nay, beliefs…is that it all starts with the proper mindset. Possibly the most challenging part of climbing what ever hill you’ve chosen to climb – to change from where you are NOW to where you want to be — is getting over/around YOURSELF. Your mind, your brain, your training, your family, your beliefs. They all tend to conspire to keep you where you are NOW, whether or not it’s best.
Now….if you’ve decided to shift that perspective….in other words, CHANGE (change your job, your life, your outlook), you can do it. No question. Over the next few posts, I’m going to share with you the 12 No-Muss, No-Fluff, No-Foolin’-Around Slam Dunk Steps to Attracting Success.
Got a pencil? um…or a printer? OK….here we go.
1. Accept. That’s right: ACCEPT. Accept your truth – in other words, accept where you ARE. Radical acceptance is a concept that embraces embracing. Embrace the here and now. Your circumstances. Everything. Your job, your financial condition, your relationships as they really are, your life. You cannot change what you’re not willing to accept. Completely.
2. Accept. No, not a type-0….Once you’ve accepted the truth, now you must accept responsibility for HOW you got here. Take responsibility for those choices. After all, you made ‘em. Nothing exists in a vacuum, but at the end of the day, you are responsible for every element of your life. The only thing you can change? You. And how you approach things moving forward. You cannot change the past and to ruminate on it is a waste of time. Simply accept and move forward.
3. Manage and Change Negative and Harmful Thoughts. This is not a step that you can simply check off and move forward. This is an on-going practice. While you’re taking an inventory of your life, this step requires you to take an inventory of how you’re thinking about your life and your circumstances. Once you’ve accepted things – you can begin to change your thoughts. Thoughts become things and we are able to change how we think. Take 10-minutes and just listen to the inner dialogue that’s running around in your head. Whatever is blocking your path – remove it. And keep removing it. This will take time – have some patience with yourself. When you hear negative thoughts or beliefs that block you (like, “oh, I could never do that,” or “I can’t ask for that….”) STOP. And say, “I can do that.” Simple — not necessarily easy — but possibly the most important of all these steps.
4. Commit to yourself – and to your vision. A lot of us – myself included – have had to learn some hard lessons on power. We don’t truly know that we have power. Our energy, our creativity, our persistence — all have power. When you decide upon pursuing one of your dreams, commit to it. Don’t just say, “well, I kinda would like to maybe do this, if everything else works out and it’s OK with you…..”. No. Commit to your vision. Visualize it. See it happening. There is a LOT more we can say about this – and will say about this – in coming posts. See it happening. Every chance you get. Then, everything you do will be aligned with manifesting that vision.
5. Know WHY. This is the energy that will keep you running when money gets tight, when people doubt your sanity, why others will want to join your cause (see Simon Sinek’s TED Talks). Knowing why – and having a profound inner knowing that this is your direction – will shine through to others as credible and authentic. You won’t have to explain – you will just connect. Magic.
Next post: 5 More No-Fluff, No-Muss, No-Foolin’ Around, Slam Dunk Steps to Success