April 2, 2012
We talked last week about how important it is to collect email addresses…well, I got a few emails of my own, imploring, “oh, please, MJTVGirl…how the heck do I get MORE?”
Well, we will be exploring this very important strategy this week. Here’s some starter tips to get you moving:
1. Start with actually putting an email opt-in form on your pages (always helps:))
2. Produce great content. This way people will clamber to get on your list.
3. Offer a great incentive (downloadable report, special pricing etc) for subscribing. The incentive must have some REAL value.
4. The promise of future EXCLUSIVE subscriber only content.
5. A friendly nudge or prompt — and an invite to your existing universe of followers on Twitter should do the trick. Remember – it may take some people a few nudges before they sign up. Just keep offering value and you’ll start building before you know it!
There was a time when most of us thought the only models were hourly or project by project. And there was also a time when there were some pretty clear boundaries on how many clients you could service at once. Well, if you are in an information sharing-type business, you have a fabulous opportunity. The gift of “scalability”!
To be scalable – in other words, to multiply your sales with the same effort and output — and to make your products and services scalable – is the key to expanding your earning potential. Ta-da! The secret to life! As someone who does consulting, offers two and three hour workshops, does the actual work, and also develops courses and classes for a living – I try to offer a model that will fit any budget and need. But then – I realized – to be able to make one widget – one information-packed course – and sell it across multiple buyers is the Magic Wand of small business! Poof! Voila! MAGIC!! You make it once and WHAM-OO…multiple buyers.
Now – offer a group of your services — ones you consider entry-level but still VALUE PACKED and ACTIONABLE — as part of a subscription package. Voila….consistent monthly income stream…FABULOUS!
Another benefit? Including a subscription model to your services (or your expertise) can also offer another option to a group of clients who may not be able to afford you — or it may open your incredible-self up to a brand new set of prospects – not to mention a new revenue stream – one that keeps on giving! This is BIG thinking, my friend. Why BIGGER? Because when you have subscribers, you can offer your information/expertise to a very large audience. Gotcha thinking??
Check out this article in the NYT Business Section.